Sunday, November 6, 2011

Birds of a feather, nest and flock together

For the past couple of days, I've been residing in the valley of the Blue Ridge Mountains, on a small college campus, in the middle of a forest. I have met some very forward thinking and intelligent young adults, who are so excited to gain and utilize their new skills, and furthermore, pass them on to anyone willing to listen.

I opted to stick around the Asheville area, in order to soak up all the natural beauty I could manage, and in return, have managed to become a vicarious student, through my newly developed friendships. One of the main things that I'll be taking away from this experience, is acknowledgement of the importance of balancing friendships on both ends of the age spectrum. The second night, I was invited to this potluck, where the food was garden grown and passion to learn and teach one another was the secret ingredient. It was the best dinner I had tasted while on the road, and it was most certainly because of the love for one another and desire to nourish. After introducing the Wednesday dinner howl from back home, we enjoyed our flavorful feast.

I went for a run the next morning, through a series of trails and ending in an open pasture. As I descended the pasture, gaining ground towards the hill sprinkled with brilliantly autumn-hued trees, my perception was deceived. It was the most bizarre phenomenon I think I have ever experienced. For every step I advanced, the distance felt farther and farther out of reach. It was an experience one might not be surprised to dream, but I became more alert and awake with each new tread.

Sooner than later, I'll advance towards my next travel destination, Memphis. I'll carry with me more than my creation of newly crafted travel tales, yet my load will be lightened and very much enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment