Tuesday, November 13, 2012

This Bird's Eye

Me and my host, Rachael, visiting a friend's place
Dark green, light green
 
The houses quickly became Monopoly pieces down below, as we gained altitude above.  But the fields of green and green overtook the tiny, colorful polka dots, faster than you could pass go and collect $200.

Cane and rice fields were a patchwork quilt of slight variances of green and green, interspersed with polka dots, sewn together with aquifer canals the color brown.  Grandma and Grandpa have been hardworking homesteaders, longer than I could even remember.

Boys on bikes!
Eventually, our tiny plane became the blade which cut through the shaving cream mounds of clouds of a thick, white beard.  But the raindrops were too thin shy to wash anything away.

Our flying SUV became a bumper-car amusement park ride, when we hit pockets of air.  I closed my eyes and wondered what good a "co-pilot" was whose head was permanently in the clouds.

Parching ground cassava (farin)
The very first night I spent with a fellow PCV in Kato, a town of 500 villagers in Region 8, the waning moon rose late and low and hung like the occupied hammocks there, in the middle of the languid afternoons.  Strung up by about 200 million stars, for the world to watch, the moon swung silently, lulling its villagers softly to sleep.

How quickly we get caught up in the rat race of life and forget about the little things, which helps give us perspective and realize what's truly important in this world.  I never would have imagined my perspective could hide in the corners of a developing country, but this past week, it peeked out its head in a remote Amerindian village, and I smuggled it back on the plane to Georgetown, where it is needed most, right now.  I hope to share as much as possible.
Fermented cassava (cassiri-right), cassava bread soaked in tuma pot soup and smoked meat.  Breakfast of champions.

Bike-petaled cassava grinder (on right)
Friends and falls
For a brief moment, I was back in Gambia, taking bucket baths by candlelight and occupying pit latrines.  But this interior village was much different than the one I knew.  Where were the mosque calls and rhythmic sounds of women pounding rice?  Maybe it was due to the simple fact that we all spoke the same language, but it seemed like education and health was taken more seriously and cassava took on about five more roles, including being turned into the fermented drink, cassiri.

For five days, I enjoyed the good company of conversation, culture, slowing down, sleep, breathtaking scenery and solitude.  We hiked around some of the 93 square miles and even swam in a waterfall pool.  I came back to lots of love from the homepeople in North America, as well as the momentum to continue to contribute positively for the rest of my service.  I am grateful for all of the people I have met during my time here in Guyana, even though roles might not always be initially apparent.

During this last month or so, as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer here in Guyana, responsibilities will be directed towards ChildLinK, the Women's Enterprise Exposition, and finding a freaking job.  I am open to all sorts of possibilities, so please keep me in mind when you hear of possibilities.

Interestingly enough, too, I spent my second presidential election abroad.  Once again, I had the unique opportunity to engage with US Embassy personnel, but this year, I also gained the insight of residents of Guyana.

Sunset in the Kato valley
I cannot tell yet if I am ready to depart Guyana.  There is one part of me who feels like I am just starting to get the hang of Georgetown and meeting people who could be genuine friends.  Perhaps the possibilities of contributing to this country, even further, might exist?  There is another part of me who feels like I've contributed enough to the people in a country that has spit in my face and literally given me a "shit show".  I know the ease of the decision will come, as the departure draws closer.  In the mean time, I will simply continue to give the most of myself to the areas which have most meaning, such as counseling, culture and interpersonal relationships, writing pen pals and health and happiness, to name a few.  Thanks to everyone who has lent their support during my time here.  I could not be giving 110% without it!!  Here's to a lot of love, loads of perspective and relief for four more years...

No comments:

Post a Comment