Tuesday, December 4, 2012

(Wo)Man I Fest 2012

Have you ever tried thinking about something so much, with the aim that it will come true?  Or maybe you take the time to write down the things you hope to accomplish during the day, week, month or year; a similar idea.  At the very least, we speak about our plans, thoughts and desires to our friends and family nearly every day.  This is helpful and necessary when it comes to working towards achievements and goals.  It helps us remain accountable to ourselves, by means of verbalizing it with others.  The concept of manifesting your reality is not new.  But does it really work?  Can you really THINK something into REALITY??

We North Americans are all familiar with Manifest Destiny, the19th Century general notion and widely held belief that the United States was destined to expand across the continent.  It never became a policy, possibly because of the association of slavery, along with the expansion.  However, we remember it today as a legacy of an American mission to spread democracy around the entire world.

The idea of manifestation is more about making a point to recognize the wants and desires when they are right in front of you.  If you can't pin point exactly what it is that you are after, how will you recognize it?  How will you know what it is that you want if you don't take time to think about it, write about it or talk about it?

Two days ago, I was walking home after work.  I knew that I had a friend coming into town and that I should have picked up toilet paper at the grocery store, but I completely forgot to pick some up.  I was kind of kicking myself, and thought that I'd have to make an extra trip to the store.  Of course, that's no big deal.  Nothing to complain about.  BUT, it was on my way home from work that I stumbled upon a roadside stand selling nothing BUT toilet paper.  Roadside stands are not only popular in Georgetown and all over Guyana, but in developing countries all across the world.  I have seen everything from seasonal fruit and vegetables, to sweet homemade treats, bean sandwiches, sunglasses, fake beards, birds and rabbits, plastic toys, and, as of two days ago, toilet paper.  I started to walk by the toilet paper stand, un-phased, which was precisely when I remembered I needed it.  So I turned around and manifested my own need for the provision, they way I've come to learn...by means of negotiation.  

Now for my next manifestation trick...landing the job at the Multicultural Community Center at UC Berkeley I applied for a couple of weeks ago... I'm putting all of my feelers out.  In addition to the Center being student run and operated (besides the Director and Assistant Director-the job to which I applied), the Center appears to combine my love for cross cultural expression, event planning and promotion, advocacy for underserved populations, academia, and nice weather, ha.  Not to mention UC Berkeley has a PhD program in Ethnic Studies that I'm drooling over.  If anyone knows anyone associated with the Center or any of the departments associated with the Center, please please please put in a good word for me. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*************************************************************************

Kaiesh, my ChildLinK counterpart, and US Ambassador, Mr. Brent Hardt
After orchestrating around the clock for the past two months, to prepare for the Women's Enterprise Exposition (WEnEx), an event which aims to allow for networking and promotion of women's businesses and support groups and women's business support, our task force team did an excellent job in carrying it out and promoting the United Nations Millennium Development Goal #3: Promoting gender equality and empowering women.

Peace Corps Booth
On Monday, November 26ths, more than 30 registered booths, comprising of women owned businesses, youth development and women's support groups, and government entities, came together, under one roof to showcase their products and services, as well as network and share information and provide insight to the purpose of their existence  Among some of them were ChildLinK, Pandama Center for the Creative Arts, Guyana Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Women's Entrenurarship Network, the US Peace Corps and US Embassy, the Guyana Ministry of Health and many more.

GCCI President Mr. Urling, Kendra, Tina, myself and past GCCI President Mr. Ramnauth
We enjoyed opening remarks from WEnEx Director and PCV and WENET Coordinator, Tina Camara and Kendra Borutski, the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce President, Mr. Clinton Urling,  US Ambassador to Guyana, Mr. Brent Hardt, and Canadian High Commissioner, Mr. David Davine.

A 20 minute video short documentary directed by Peace Corps Volunteer, Matt Cusimano, and produced by yours truly, along with Tina and Kendra, also debuted, in addition to our panel discussion comprised of Dr. Faith Harding, Valerie Lowe, Dr. Paloma Mohamad, and Vanda Radzik. Minister of Human Services and Social Security, Jennifer Webster, served as keynote speaker for the evening.

Here is some of the press we received!!

*******************************************************************************

I often feel so fortunate and so lucky to have so many of the experiences that seem to find their ways into my life.  Whether or not it is something that I seek out and try to manifest, I take the opportunity to learn and reflect on the experiences.  Each and every person we meet has an impact or influence on us, whether we recognize it right away, or it years later.

Hurakabra Resort on the Essiquibo River
Most days I feel like my time here in Guyana has been all but too short.  I continue to meet remarkable and kind and generous people on a daily basis.  I continue to develop existing friendships, creating more substantial relationships with hopes of maintaining them long after we part ways, whenever that may be.  



World AIDS Day walk at 6am on a Sunday :)
No shave November=Movember




Kendra and Tina with the opening remarks

I continue to gain insight on the development of a country which was colonized approximately three different times, claims six nationalities, and at least three religions, and remains historically peaceful.  I feel Guyana could be on the brink of a major change; a sort of "paradigm shift", if you will.  I hope that I am right.  I hope that in 5 years, I look back on my time here and see a country whose postal system doesn't make mothers with crying children, business professionals and health care workers wait an hour and a half to pick up their packages.  I hope that the ministries listen to other key players in the business sectors and work towards a bottom up (instead of top down) approach to topics like education curriculum re-structuring, allocating the vast monies incorporated in the richness of land/mining resources towards infrastructure development, and utilizing tourism and promotion of resorts and lodges as a way to incorporate non-profit organizations through sponsorship.  I hope I look back and find the utilization of mentorships among educated and passionate secondary students, towards underprivileged youth around Georgetown and Guyana as a whole.  I hope that women's voices are heard more and taken seriously and that fewer reports of domestic violence ending in dismemberment of the victim appear on the front page of the daily news.  I feel like I've invested more of myself to a country whose existence I only vaguely knew of, in the past three and a half months, than I have to the country I've lived in for 27 years.  
Dancing Santa and our WEnEx poster

It's easy for me to become quickly invested in things and people and places about whom I am passionate.  It is even easier when there is a team with whom you're working, who are just as passionate.  We are fortunate to be on this world together.  We will not be on it forever, though, which is why we must make the most of our time here.  We must think positively, act kindly, follow through with our words, find something to be passionate about, and follow through on that, too.  

And if, at the end of the day, there is something out of life that you really desire, find a way to make it happen.  Manifest your own destiny... Just make sure it is for the best of humanity, and yourself, and not at the expense of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment