Friday, September 23, 2011

Time traveling to Columbia, MO 9/23



I can hear the rain drops falling before they blur the ink on my note pad. Our travels have been skies of gray, with a brisk, yet refreshing chill in the air- a pleasant reminder that autumn has arrived. At the moment, this weather comforts me.

Springfield, IL was youthful, and led me to feel introverted. I borrowed the glockenspiel and placed bell-like sounds with words I planned to sing. I am pleased with the product and since more of the like will emerge on this journey. Tonight, at a house show in Columbia, MO, Hazle Lee Dove will perform her first song, opening for Luna Moth and Blue Valley Farmer.

Joey celebrated his birthday in Springfield, a couple of days ago, entering into the final year of his 20s... We're in the same boat now, floating down the same ravine, sharing a similar revere. He received a really unique birthday present that we all three got to experience. In addition to 4 orders of hasbrowns at the Waffle House, the we time traveled together. He turned 29 not once, but twice, as we drove from Louisville, KY after midnight, then crossed back into central time, arriving in Springfield, where got a second chance as a 28 year old, and mooned the country side for his final act.

It got really fun in St. Louis. We saw friends from Oklahoma and stayed with folks we hadn't just met that very day. I reunited with Alfie the robot, one of my favorite toys from my childhood. Leave it up to a musician to turn it into a theremin. It was like we were still time traveling, because in addition to Alfie and the 2nd birthday, gas cost $2.98/gallon. Also awesome? The St. Louis Bread Co that runs on suggested donations. A must visit for any weary traveler. And the City Museum downtown, where Cody and I peered at each other in a life sized-kalidescope, and ran on a giant hamster wheel. Oh, and we washed our clothes. Sort of. And I bought a tank top from a dude who is obsessed with the no-chocking symbol, putting it on everything from clothes to his own car. Good conversation starter at the very least.

Next stop, Ames, IA...

No comments:

Post a Comment