Thursday, March 25, 2010

365 Days of Re-adjustment



After way too many months of feeling like a parallelogram peg trying to fit into a trapezoid whole, I'm finally really beginning to find my groove. Only after moving back in with the parents in my mid-twenties, taking a month long solo train excursion around the States, contemplating where to re-locate with Roscoe until the cows chose our home, accepting a job offer which led to an incredibly unique and rewarding opportunity to utilize my degree, purchasing intimidating adult-like possessions, a month without running water in a first-world country, and experiencing four full seasons (winter, okay, you win with your bitter, ice cold 'tude), am I truly feeling like I belong.

A couple of weeks will bring the end of the month of March and the anniversary of my return from The Gambia. Incredible. Unbelievable, actually. It is safe to say that I barely recognize any faces in pictures posted by people I barely knew upon departing, but friended on Facebook because that was the status quo. Time just goes by so much faster with 24-hour electricity and pancake houses. Or maybe it's just that America's pace is like Africa on steroids. The Chaco tan-lines on my feet have completely faded, although those fine ones on my face from 24 months of sun have not. Last month I found my first gray hair. Last week I found my second one.

I kept telling myself Norman was the right place where to re-locate. After all, it WAS voted 6th best place to live in 2008 by Money Magazine. But all around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces... And to admit that "it's not easy," would be the understatement of the century. However, since moving to back Oklahoma, I've begun to gain this sincere sense of pride that I have yet to experience anywhere else I have ever resided. I want friends to visit and for people to discover this secret jewel of a state. Our red-dirt, Native America has much to offer, and this eclectic little university town is just the tip of the termite mound.


In fact, I'd like to spend the rest of the post promoting a handful of mind, body and soul-enriching activities, all of which take place in the time span of about a month:

March 26-28th: 34th Medieval Fair at Reeves Park

April 9th: Live Broadcast of Science Friday on KGOU!!

April 22nd: Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools visits. Three Cups of Tea was one of those Peace Corps "must reads."

April 24th and 25th: 3rd Annual Norman Music Festival, a monumental event that is putting Norman on the music map and was nearly a deciding factor to come after one year in the Peace Corps.

April 25th: Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon

Finally, on Monday, I was invited to sit on a panel for the Women's and Gender Studies Department at OU, as the result of attending a lecture on the organization, International Rescue Committee. After the lecture, the audience mingled and I found myself telling one of the many Peace Corps stories, as well as speaking passionately about Touchstone, the non-profit for which I now work. The next day, I received an out-of-the-blue email from the director of the WGS department, who happened to be captivated and "impressed" by the stories, inviting me to participate in a career workshop for WGS majors and minors and potential majors and minors. The panel will take place on Tuesday, March 30th from 5-6:30 in the Memorial Student Union, so come listen!

One year later, it truly is good to be back, Boy-Boy.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog, I like your reflections. they refresh my perspective which does become stale.

    ReplyDelete