Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring Clean Your Life

Reduce Your Junk Mail: Not many people will argue against recycling from home (although there will always be some). But you can go a step further, by reducing the amount of items you might otherwise recycle. One way to do that is to limit the amount of "junk mail" that arrives in your box day after day. You can also be conscious of purchasing items with a limited amount of packaging.

Reduce Your Mobile Minutes: Sign up for the national Do Not Call registry and limit the amount of calls from telemarketers, which can eat up your minutes. On my phone, I can also check my text and minute usage to make sure I'm staying within my plan, reducing the potential for unforeseen extra monthly charges on the bill.

Reduce Your Water Consumption: I've started washing my dishes in a tub of soapy water and rinsing them over another bowl, to catch that water, too. After they fill up, I use it to water my trees or flower beds. Practice the yellow/mellow toilet flushing method. According to creativecitizen.com, you can save up to 4380 gallons a year by just holding off from 2 flushes in one day. Imagine 6 milk gallons going down the toilet from just 2 flushes. This became all too familiar when my pipes froze and busted and I was without running water for one month. But if you MUST flush, fill your tank with a couple of bricks, to help displace the water. You can also install low pressure shower heads, or ones that you can switch off without turning the entire faucet.

Swap Your Clothes: If you are on Facebook and reside in the Norman, Oklahoma City area, log on and start cleaning out your closets for the city-wide clothing swap in celebration of Earth Day. This event takes place on April 10th, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment