Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It Takes Two for Rockin'...


Lucky for your ears, that's just the arrangement of the dynamite duo, Cody Lee Fletcher and Lydia Gilman, who make up The Gunslingers.

My sister moved to Memphis, Tennessee in 2008, shortly after graduating from Full Sail Academy with enough knowledge about audio engineering to pursue her ambitions and land a couple of day gigs to supplement the evening ones. Music is one of her true loves and it oozes from every pore in her body and drips from her drumsticks. Never fail, every time we talk on the phone, she's at one of her jobs. She works hard for the money but lives for the music. And it truly shows. And I couldn't be more proud.

I've never asked her from where this passion derived, but if it was anything like mine, I'd say it couldn't have helped but come from our parent's ever-rotating vinyl records. I still remember the first time I heard Stairway to Heaven. It was the song that summed up the night at a sixth grade social. The next day, I asked my mom if she'd ever heard this song, which was precisely when she pulled out the album, picked up the arm, and placed the needle in the groove. I was 12 years old and I must have put it on play at least 12 times that very day.

As CDs became more popular, I recall my father acquiring more of his favorite artists. Mr. Young quickly became old and tired to my sister and my ears, until we realized the reality of his lyrics and the soul of his sound. How Tori Amos ended up in their bathroom stereo, I'm still unsure, but I'm sure it was Winter when I became hooked. In high school, the Dallas rock station, KDGE had this obscure show that aired on Sunday nights. I didn't know what I was listening to, I just knew Liz Phair was a Polyester Bride and Kate Bush put more than a literary spin to Wuthering Heights. Of course, Debbie Gibson, Erasure and The Steve Miller Band, among others, had their fair share of play in my tape deck. Ever heard of Don Williams? I'll sing you his greatest hits album next time we're driving to Beavers Bend State Park... College opened more doors than David Bowie in Labyrinth and Jim Morrison, combined and I can still picture the exact song and moment when I decided Yo La Tengo must be writing songs and playing their music just for me. Last spring I went to visit Lydia in Memphis and I re-borrowed a handful of my parent's albums that she had snagged. Last month, my parents came to visit me in Norman, and my father once again regained ownership of several of his treasures. He just so happened to leave Led Zepplin IV in the stack. A couple of days ago, I discovered I have the capability to listen to Joni Mitchell's Blue four different ways, all at the same time: vinyl, tape, laptop and mp3.

The Gunslingers begins their southern states and New England tour in a couple of days. Most likely they'll be coming to your town, so get out there, support an up and coming band while having your socks rockabillied off.

Touchstone is going fabulously. Recently, we collaborated on a and submitted a grant application for a ropes course to be added on to the Rocktown facility. Wish us luck!! The weather is FINALLY becoming grain-silo friendly, and I know the kids are enjoying the whole climbing experience much more. A slack-line is even set up, for a chance to test balance and soak up some sun while queuing up for the popular routes.

Whether on the stage or on a cliff, it looks like rock is just the way these Gilman girls roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment