Saturday, August 27, 2011




"Do you have all your senses"? This was the next question Hailey asked me (whose name I had already read on an upside down down sticker on the front of her pink shirt-a stark reminder to almost anyone with the sense of sight that the first week of 3rd grade had officially begun) after my name, and whether I could sit and talk to her until her Nana came back. You see, she had dropped her blind cane and I picked it up, because Hailey only had four of the five senses, which she then scholastically recited to the entire DHS waiting room. I found out by asking that her favorite one was taste, and her Nana agreed. Hailey then inquired if she could read me a story, which she wrote. Junie B. Jones was playing and falling and jumping in my thoughts all day long. This little stranger was a happy and cheerful child, with an imagination that extended as far as her mind could see. Although she may not have had all five of her senses, at least she had her favorite one. And most importantly, she had her Nana...

I sure am one fortunate human to have so many wholesome and spectacular people in my every day world. I am grateful beyond words for their continued kindness, generosity and volunteerism and recognize the true value of the relationships. This feeling has grown significantly stronger in the past year, but I'm not sure if it's because of a conscious effort to reciprocate the generosity or pay it forward, or because each individual relationship just as important as another, to me.

This past week as been another whirlwind. But in a good way. The shed is now under local anesthesia, and well on its way to getting a karmic, as well as a physical face lift, with the efforts of a handful of amazingly generous individuals. It is an amazing journey to be involved in the transformation of something that allows for collaborative creativity with regard to something that will end up benefiting several different parties.

In preparation for this 3 month long Oklahoma music and art caravan tour featuring Luna Moth, Blue Valley Farmer and many contributing Oklahoma visual artists, I need to sublet my entire house and property, fund raise and promote as much as possible, spend time arting and preparing to keep records and document the travels, and most significantly, mentally and physically prepare to write this book. As each day draws nearer to departure, links continue to add themselves to the chain. Last week, after hand making sublet signs to post around town and in front of my yard, I went to my yoga studio and took a class from the person who will be renting the shed. I ended up practicing side by side with a friend I hadn't expected to see, nor had I seen in about 8 years. We caught up a little, which included letting her know about wanting to sublet my house. The very next day she contacted me asking if it was okay to give out my number to someone who may be interested. It turned out to be an old friend from the college ultimate Frisbee days and his family. They will move in September 16th and will stay for 3 months, while transitioning back to life in town, and as I transition to life on the road. The lesson that I took away from this experience was that, for as much promoting as I had done earlier in the day, all I needed to do was something good for myself, served by the yoga class, and this action helped create something else positive and mutually beneficial.

Here is a link to the website where you can help support and contribute while we are on the road. For every dollar you give, your generosity will be reciprocated, with hugs, letters, trees, music, art, and of course, karma. :) Endless thanks for your support!!

http://www.indiegogo.com/Luna-Moth-Blue-Valley-Farmer-US-Tour-2011

Wednesday, I will travel down to Dallas to be with my family for Nana's memorial. I will see many many people whom were very dear to her. They will have many stories about Nana and her incredibly habitual letter writing. Letters will be read, letters will be written, and letters will be recovered and re-distributed. The memorial and time spent with family will be challenging in many ways, but I know that it will help propel me towards traveling.

When I return, another friend from the Peace Corps will come visit. We spent our critical training days in the same village for three months, which means we have a unique bond that will hold us together like glue, no matter what age of life, nor location. I haven't seen him in over 2 years, and I'm thrilled beyond words or actions that he's coming to see the life I've created after the Peace Corps.

I have so much to be grateful for and recognize the importance of telling and showing the people involved in this process. Send a text, make a phone call, say a greeting, or write a letter, the old fashioned way. It will make a difference in someone's life, I guarantee it.

Oh, and I also had a slip n' slide birthday party... :) It's okay, I only just turned 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment